Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Lahemaa National Park

On one of the last really pretty weekends of the fall, I headed east of Tallinn with the Tallinn University International Club. My favorite part of the the trip was to Lahemaa National Park. The park covers about 450 square miles and four distinct types of terrain. It was a picture-perfect day (literally- these photos are only cropped and straightened!), so I'm going to let the photos I took speak for themselves. :)




To help orient yourself- Lahemaa is the area in red on the map above. On this trip, I would eventually make it all the way to Narva in the northeast corner.

The Viru Bog





We took a 3.5km walk through this bog in the southern part of Lahemaa. Since much of the ground is too mushy to walk on, you have to walk on a wooden plank that winds throughout the bog. The plank itself was pretty slippery though. I had muddy knees to prove it for the rest of the day. But at least it was my jeans that got wet, and not my camera. I told someone after I fell that I would rather break my arm than my camera, since at least my arm is insured. He thought I was joking. I wasn't. All of my bog photos are here.

The Käsmu Peninsula







This shallow bay still has many boulders left from the Ice Age. I've never seen landscape quite like it. When I think of wheat fields, I would imagine this sea of gold extending in all directions, perhaps occasionally punctuated by a green tractor, red barn, or grey road. I don't think of it as being something that would literally descend into the sea, surrounded by forested, and that I'd need to climb over boulders in the middle of the field. This may actually be the favorite place I visited in Estonia so far, if only for the sheer novelty of the landscape. My photos are here.

Viinistu



Viinistu is an adorable village that earned its fortune (and its name!) smuggling vodka to Finland. Today, it is known for its art museum.

Palmse Manor







The Palmse Manor serves as a museum, the visitor center for Lahemaa, and a prime wedding venue. Two of our friends decided to stage their own wedding on the river banks. My photos are here.

Jaegala Falls







After the first dusting of snow. Photos are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment